1. Chocolate is something I decided to give up for Lent this year. So it doesn't surprise me that I made myself a cup of hot chocolate this afternoon (to go with my hubby's homemade whipping cream he whipped up Wednesday for strawberry shortcake...that I DIDN'T eat...due to it being Ash Wednesday). I digress, anywhoo, I drank about half the cup before I realized that it was hot CHOCOLATE, as in what I was not supposed to be consuming for the next 39 days. I chalked it up to a loss and finished the mug (yes, it was one of those days)...
2. I'll blame my inability to focus on anything for more than 5 seconds on the lack of sleep I've had this week due to Toddler Boy being up at night wheezing. When I say wheezing, I mean struggling to breathe so much that we debated taking him in to the E.R. a few times but luckily the old hot shower steam treatment did the trick. After 4 nights of this and him developing a croup cough on top of it I finally took him to the pediatrician's office to have him diagnosed with bronchitis. Poor guy, with his new meds he (and I) finally slept through the night last night but I'm still trying to catch up on the other 3 nights that I missed.
3. St. Valentine's Day was our dog Minnie's 3rd birthday. We adopted her from a rescue agency and normally you don't know the actual birthdate of rescue dogs. However, we do know Minnie's because she was born in an animal shelter. Her mom was left tied up pregnant, in labor, to the fence outside the shelter in the middle of an ice storm when the workers found her. Some of the puppies had already been born and didn't make it but Minnie was one of the four lucky ones.
|Minnie as a puppy|
|Minnie all grown up|
Yes, they are standing on our frozen pool (because I'm that Mom)
4. Speaking of dogs, we picked up a stray last weekend at my folks house. It was in the evening and we didn't want her to get eaten by coyotes (plus the weather was going to be turning bad) so we brought her home. Soccer Boy was ecstatic, he has been begging us for a dog ever since his last birthday. He says he has been praying for a dog and has been calling her "Spot". I asked my mom to call around to see if her neighbors were missing a dog and we found out where she came from yesterday. The owner has other dogs and told mom Soccer Boy could keep Spot. Now the dilemma, of course Soccer Boy has grown attached and Spot has been sleeping in his room. She is a really sweet dog and Soccer Boy is old enough to take care of her...any thoughts??
|Soccer Boy and "Spot"|
5. The announcement of Pope Benedict's "retirement" has been in my thoughts a lot this week. I came into the church while he was Pope and I really admired him. I know others have felt closer to Pope John Paul II but he was such a charismatic Pope, it would have been incredibly difficult to walk in his shoes. I respect Pope Benedict so much for the choice he has made, it could not have been an easy one. I am grateful to him for the sacrifices he offered while serving and I'm praying both for him and for the Church as she seeks the Holy Spirit's wisdom to select the next Pope.
6. Running out of things to type so I'll throw out that the season finale of Downton Abbey is this weekend. I've been avoiding spoilers but I've heard the rumors that it ends badly. The last episode was so good and wrapped things up so nicely. I was wondering what was to become of Sybil's husband and like how they found a spot for him. I loved what he had to say about everyone using their special gifts and talents for the good of the family. Warm, happy feelings all the way around. So of course the finale is probably going to drag me through the wringer. Sigh...
7. It's St. Valentine's Day, and I haven't spent any time with my significant other so I'm signing off. If you get a chance, please say a prayer for my sister. She is in the hospital tonight trying to get over a lung infection and could use the prayers. Thanks!!
Happy St. Valentine's Day!! Go check out more 7 Quick Takes with Jen at Conversion Diary